- "Trainwreck in a large snowy area. Epic large battles."
- — Map description
Derail is a large sized multiplayer map featured in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It is a large, snowy environment that is best known for its long range battles. The opposing teams are the Task Force 141 and the Spetsnaz.
The map is one of the largest maps included in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The map takes place in the surroundings of a train derailment, in a snowy environment which is in Russia. The map is mostly open land, separated by train tracks, including a bridge, as well as large warehouse buildings in the center and a strip mall at one end of the map.
Derail is often considered a sniper-orientated map, though it can easily accommodate many different styles of play. Close quarters fighting occurs in the large building in the middle of the map, whereas long range fighting suiting assault rifle or sniper rifle users will take place across the fields and on the roof of the larger warehouse. When sniping, although useful on other maps, thermal scope is a bad idea, as the enemies blend with the snow.
- There are paintings on some of the rail cars that can also be found on some of the walls in Favela.
- The locomotive on the map has the number 1337 on it, also known as l33t or leet.
- On the flatbed car of the derailed train there is a part of a satellite that is seen in the hangar during the campaign mission "Cliffhanger."
- Also, several of the train cars and containers have the words "Kriegler" on them making reference to the name that is seen on many levels.
- Some of the trains have the letters "IW" and 2002 referring to Infinity Ward and the debut year for the company.
- There is a teddy bear in the central building in a file cabinet; it can be opened by hitting it.
- In one of the garbage cans in the main office, there is a sticker of Santa.
- The power line towers can be heard creaking in the wind.
- Weapons, when viewed through first-person, appear to have frosted over.
- In one of the buildings, the player can find a small sign saying "Roycewicz Storage Company", referring to the Infinity Ward employee Alexander Roycewicz.
- In the building with all the shipping crates, there are multiple pictures of a Russian woman with a Thompson.
- Around the computers in the main building, there are horse pictures and children's drawings.
- This is one of the many maps with the 'Nova' gas station.
- This is the only map where the player cannot play Free-for-All in matchmaking.